Re: Install WinXP

Author: Mark Jarvis
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Install WinXP

> Windows NT/2K/XP can be installed on any partition,

    Absolutely true--one of my XPs is in partition 2 (and has been
re-installed at least three times.)

Once you get both XP & Linux installed & can access Linux from a floppy,
if friend wife prefers the look & feel of Windows/boot.ini and you want
to keep her happy, check out chapter 4 in O'Reilly's "Linux in a
Nutshell". I've used its instructions to add Redhat 10.0, Mandrake 9.2,
& Mandrake 10 to a Windows/boot.ini setup. The Redhat went strictly by
the book, the Mandrakes required some fiddling because of what Mandrake
does to /etc/lilo.conf.

-mj-

Craig White wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 09:48, Earl, Alex C wrote:
>
>> Install XPde (http://www.xpde.com/shots.php) desktop environment and
>> tell her its WindowsXP...
>>
>> ...but seriously, what are her reasons for wanting WindowsXP?
>>
>> Did you create a partition for WindowsXP? I don't know if this is true
>> with XP, but on other versions of Windows, it had to be installed on the
>> first partition (this could screw you over if Linux is already installed
>> there).
>>
>> You could always check Google for "install windows xp linux system" or
>> something along those lines.

>>> 2 you are using an HPFS (OS/2) file system