Re: Install WinXP

Author: Paul Dickson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Install WinXP
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:41:27 -0700, Roy Babin wrote:

> I have Suse8.2 installed, now the wife would like to have Windows HP
> installed also. When I try to install I get the following message.
>
> "The hard drive does not contain a FAT16 or Fat32 Windows partition."
> This may be caused by any of the following reasons.
> 1 You are using an NTFS (Windows) file system.
> 2 you are using an HPFS (OS/2) file system
> 3 The last partition on your drive was NTFS or an HPFS Partition.
>
> What may I do to correct the situation and keep the wife happy?
> Thank you for any help one mught be.

Make sure any partitions created on the HD are created by Microsoft's
FDISK program. In the past, I've had an Win98 install overwrite Win2K
because I had created the partition table with the linux fdisk program.

So my rule of thumb: If you are going to use any version of Windows on a
HD, partition it with Microsoft's FDISK.

I've had no trouble installing Linux, Win2K, and Win98 on a HD (even in
that order) once the HD was partitioned with FDISK. If you know what
you're doing installing the OS's in that order isn't much of a problem.

    -Paul