Re: database (now 'MySQL/PHP')

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: database (now 'MySQL/PHP')
>>Looks like I'll be in WAAAAAAY over my head with this project. I
>>suppose that I'll start with learning HTML. Then I'll do PHP followed
>>by SQLite. Then I'll end it all with Apache. Then I'll look for
>>someone to be my partner. You know... maybe I could do it via email?
>

> SQLite is a nice product, but I don't think it was intended to the back in
> to an eCommerce site or a database driven web site. I believe it was more
> a SQL compliant replacement to local file databases like dbf, paradox, ms
> access and the likes.
>
> I would really only recommend it for shrink wrap type single user
> applications. For example, it would make a nice backend to something like
> GNUCash or a contact manager like ACT.
>
> This is of course my opinion.

And fairly accurate. Since SQLite does database level locking, only one thread
at a time can be making any kind of changes. This isn't good for a multi-user
database needed for ecommerce as you might have 5 different threads trying to
add things to your order tables. This is why most full SQL dbs do row level
locking. Only one thread can modify any one specific row at a time, but lots of
threads can modify different rows at the same time.

SQLite sounds like a good app for a single-user stand-alone app that needs a
small footprint. Like say an app I like to use (GPSdrive) on an iPaq as only
that one app run by that one user needs to access the db to select or change things.

MySQL is used more often than Postgres because of the speed of its select
statements. I've run both Postgres and MySQL for certain apps and the
performance of both degraded dramatically as the db size increased, yet MySQL
continued to perform faster than Postgres. These db's were for the Snort
backend and were literally recording a million traps every few hours. ACID was
basically becoming a useless app to get at the data since selects were starting
to get up to 30 minutes per and the average page had at least 4 :(

My only solution for this was to rotate the data out every week and start with a
clean db and go through the databases after the fact to continue tuning Snort's
rules.