Re: freeswan

Author: Liberty Young
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: freeswan
On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 14:21, Deepak Saxena wrote:
> On Apr 12 2004, at 11:36, Liberty Young was caught saying:
> > I'm trying to setup a VPN with freeswan version 2.0 (does debian have
> > openswan?) with a VPN box from linksys on the other end. We are right
> > now doing a pre-shared key setup, IKE, and my i'm getting errors when I
> > do
> > ipsec manual --up test
>
> Can't help you b/c I gave up on ipsec since that required having
> people at the other end (our IT department) involved and be responsive
> if there's an issue. What've I've done instead to get intranet access
> is just use SSH tunnels to get me to the main source repositories,
> the imap server, and our internal squid proxy. I run squid on my system
> at home and have it configured so that *mvista.com goes to the
> squid over the SSH tunnel and everything else goes out the real pipe
> so that my pr0n doesn't go through MV. Postfix can be configured the
> same way so that email sent from @mvista.com and to @mvista.com route
> through one smtp server over the tunnel and the rest go directly to
> the outside world. Everything works OK and if you don't need to
> share windows stuff with the main office, it's a much simpler solution
> since it requires nothing more then a squid server at the main office
> for remote web access.
>
> ~Deepak

I could whip up some iptables rules with ssh tunnels for work/home, but
this needs to work with some friend's boxes..and they are using some
linksys VPN box (which means I _need_ preshared key tunnels).

I'm also thinking of using openswan or strongswan...does anybody here
have any input using openswan versus strongswan versus freeswan ?