Re: Tips on upgrading to X.Org on Gentoo; ymessenger segfaul…

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Tips on upgrading to X.Org on Gentoo; ymessenger segfaults
> I haven't paid much attention to this. Can anyone give a short
> description?
>
> What are the drawbacks/advantages of each system?
> Are they both being actively developed?
>
> Do you really think distros will drop XFree for X ?

A number of distros (RH, Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo, OpenBSD) have already stopped
updating the version of X they come with due to the license change. They will
ship with XFree86 4.3 rather than 4.4 (which has the license change).
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/02/18/131223.shtml?tid=104

And the announcement of X.org version:
http://slashdot.org/articles/04/04/07/1320251.shtml?tid=104&tid=189