Tips on upgrading to X.Org on Gentoo; ymessenger segfaults

+ (application/pgp-signature)
Author: Bill Jonas
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Tips on upgrading to X.Org on Gentoo; ymessenger segfaults
Following a story[1] on Slashdot, I upgraded to X.Org, which is looking
like it will be the successor to XFree86 due to all the licensing
hoo-ha. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, ignore this part.)
Surprisingly enough, Gentoo already had an ebuild in there when I
checked. So after using quickpkg(1) to make a copy of
x11-base/xfree-4.3.99.902, I unmerged XFree86 and attempted to merge
X.Org (x11-base/xorg-x11).

Well, I guess it was coincidence, but emerge(1) decided to break just
then. And other people, it seems, have had it break in a similar
fashion[2][3]. My solution was found in the last post of the first link
I gave. After merging, I logged out and back in to get /usr/X11R6/bin
back in my $PATH (since I didn't feel like updating it manually). Then
there were lots of complaints about libGL-type stuff when I tried to run
mplayer or glxinfo. Turns out that I simply needed to run "opengl-update
xorg-x11" due to the way Gentoo handles OpenGL stuff.

Besides fonts looking a little different, about the only negative
difference I've noticed is that Yahoo! Messenger is now segfaulting.
Other than that, everything seems to be fine; Quake 3 Arena, Unreal
Tournament, and UT2004 are all working properly.

In case anyone can help out with the ymessenger, issue, here's what
happens:

$ ymessenger

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **: ISO8859-1

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **: ISO8859-1

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **: ISO8859-1

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **: ISO8859-1

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **: ISO8859-1

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **: ISO8859-1

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 220 (gdk_font_ref): assertion `font != NULL' failed.

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 220 (gdk_font_ref): assertion `font != NULL' failed.
Segmentation fault

It obviously has something to do with the fonts, but my X11 font-fu is
non-existant.

[1] http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/07/1320251
[2] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=128037
[3] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=158444

--
Bill Jonas    *        *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step