Spam filtering suggestions

Author: plug
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Spam filtering suggestions
I work for one of the valley's high school districts, and we are
interested in filtering spam. We currently are using Exchange 2003. We
are looking at putting a box between the Exchange machine and the
Internet to filter incoming, and possibly outgoing, messages. We are
looking at Spamassassin, amongst several commercial products. We
haven't made any decisions, yet. We are currently on a tight budget, so
this would be a chance for FOSS to shine. Although, if anyone has had a
particularly good experience with a commercial product, I would be
interested in hearing about that, too.

We are hoping the application with run on either Windows or Linux
(SuSE). We have over 30,000 e-mail users, although most of the students
don't generate much e-mail. It is a fairly sizeable installation, and
performance is of concern.

Thank you, in advance, for your input!
-Erik Bixby