Re: System hangs on newer 2.4 kernels

+ (application/pgp-signature)
Author: Bill Jonas
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: System hangs on newer 2.4 kernels
On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:45:31PM -0500, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> Thanks for the help so far. As soon as I figure out something that works
> I'll definitely share it with the group.

I wonder if it's a faulty motherboard or CPU or RAM. Did you try
testing the memory? memtest86 is pretty good for that. You might try
letting it run overnight, because sometimes intermittent errors are
tough to smoke out.

My next recommendation would be to go to Mandrake mailing lists, first
the users' list, then the developers' list (assuming it's public, which
I don't know).

If you don't get anywhere there, I'd suggest the Linux kernel mailing
list after trying the latest kernel (preferably 2.6, but 2.4 might also
be acceptable); some boards/chipsets have bugs, so you might get a
suggestion for a work-around or be able to help diagnose the bug in the
first place. linux-kernel FAQ at <http://www.tux.org/lkml/> (but since
it's so high-traffic, be careful and a quick perusal of
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> to brush up might
be in order).

Good luck.

--
Bill Jonas    *        *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step