Re: ASU Surplus

+ (text/html)
Author: FoulDragon@aol.com
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: ASU Surplus
Surplus can be fun, but here are some advice notes:

-Virtually no machines are complete. Hard discs especially tend to be
pulled. Only "full" box I ever got was a HP 712/60, and probably because nobody
could figure out how to strip it.

For cases also inspect for missing drive carriers and such. I'd rather buy a
$5 case at Surplus than a new $30 one, but often drive carriers and rails
disappear

-Cables you'd want to test with are rarely handy. If you have a VGA->Sun
adapter cable, it might be worth bringing along to test the dozens of Sun
monitors always present

-Don't bother for desks. I wanted a metal desk (wood desk strains under
weight of monitor), and price was USD 150+

-Bear in mind a slope outside front door, for when you're shoving a cart with
83kg of
equipment on it

-Recognize size limits of your vehicle. I did a nasty number on the interior
of my car when I retrieved an IBM 3174-1L terminal controller