Re: SUSE RPMs

Author: George Toft
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: SUSE RPMs
Carl Parrish wrote:

> Okay I'm playing with a SUSE box. Trying to get a handle on yast2 (they
> are opening the source yes?) seems I can't just use RH rpms (which makes
> sense) but I don't know where to find SUSE rpms (I'm using this in the
> plural not as the source rpms). Any thoughts? Perhaps my eyes are just
> used to looking for RH rpms but that's all I seem to find. (course I
> also don't know any of the code names for SUSE). I'm working with SUSE
> 8.2 btw
>
> --
> Carl Parrish()
> http://www.carlparrish.com
> --
> Registered Linux User #295761 http://counter.li.org

Not sure I follow, so I'll shotgun it:
- ftp.suse.com
- www.rpmfind.net

on the CD's you should start up YaST with CD#1 inserted, but not
mounted. Then search for the RPM you want:
- control center | Install/Remove Software
- point and click your way.

Installing RH RPM's:
- cd /wherever/you/put/the/RPM
- rpm -ivh whatever-RH.i386.rpm

Because SuSE is (or was prior to 8.1) quite a bit different than RH, I
will always use midnight commander (SuSE version) to browse the RH RPM
before installing it. So far everything has worked out well.
--
George Toft
CISSP, NCNI/NSNS, MSIS