Re: Long-standing sendmail slow startup problem finally reso…

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Long-standing sendmail slow startup problem finally resolved
On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 15:43, Ed Skinner wrote:
> On Friday 19 March 2004 14:47, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Ed Skinner wrote:
> > >      The problem also manifested itself as certain X programs that took
> > > an inordinately long time (some multiple of 2 minutes, again) to launch.

> > > I've included the "slow" and "fast" contents below but, basically, the
> > > answer was to add ".localdomain" to all the entries (in my local domain).
> >
> > I don't think the problem is in your hosts file, but in whatever place
> > where you have chose to use ".localdomain" as part of the hostnames.
> >
> >    Jeremy C. Reed
> >    http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

>      I haven't *intentionally* coded a ".localdomain" anywhere that I can
> think of but perhaps it's something that is preconfigured (by Red Hat?) into
> the distribution.

---
# hostname
lin-workstation.azapple.com
[root@lin-workstation root]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.2.10            lin-workstation.azapple.com     lin-workstation
# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=lin-workstation.azapple.com

-
The important thing is that the result from the command hostname is
within /etc/hosts (as in very very near the top).

On RH systems (I cannot speak for all others), the hostname is obtained
from /etc/sysconfig/network (hence the reason I used the cat command).

This hostname also matches up on the ip address for my NIC
(192.168.2.10) - They must exactly match.

the command 'hostname' merely prints whatever it obtained from
/etc/sysconfig/network and any subsequent operations that might change
that such as settings in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 or
commands such as 'hostname newhostname' but this last type of
modification is lost on next boot.

Thus it isn't about having coded .localdomain, but rather about a FQDN
(fully qualified domain name) and whether this fqdn matches the value
returned by the command hostname.

Craig