Re: Bastille too effective ...

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Bastille too effective ...
> I just ran Bastille to mostly lock up my Debian system.
> I'm just allowing ports 22 and 80, and these should
> be invisible from the outside world.
>
> Coming in from my other box using TTSSH, I get the
> authentication dialog, which shows that I've gotten
> in through port 22. When I fill in my user ID and
> password, I get no shell prompt.
>
> So I'd like a pointer as to what Bastille might have
> done to disable the SSH server. There was some note
> displayed about SSHD having its own access rules,
> so I'm sure that's where the blockage is.

Check in a folder like /etc/sshd for the sshdconfig or something like that.
Within that file you should see access control entries that determine what
accounts and IPs are allowed to access the system. I've run Bastille on a few
systems and don't recall it modifying the sshd config files. You might want to
also check the rules that it added for your firewall.