Re: Long-standing sendmail slow startup problem finally reso…

Author: Ed Skinner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Long-standing sendmail slow startup problem finally resolved
On Friday 19 March 2004 18:10, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 15:43, Ed Skinner wrote:

> > > I don't think the problem is in your hosts file, but in whatever place
> > > where you have chose to use ".localdomain" as part of the hostnames.
> > >
> > >    Jeremy C. Reed
> > >    http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

> >      I haven't *intentionally* coded a ".localdomain" anywhere that I can
> > think of but perhaps it's something that is preconfigured (by Red Hat?)
> > into the distribution.

> ---
> # hostname
> lin-workstation.azapple.com
> [root@lin-workstation root]# cat /etc/hosts
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
> 192.168.2.10            lin-workstation.azapple.com     lin-workstation
> # cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=lin-workstation.azapple.com

> -
> The important thing is that the result from the command hostname is
> within /etc/hosts (as in very very near the top).
> On RH systems (I cannot speak for all others), the hostname is obtained
> from /etc/sysconfig/network (hence the reason I used the cat command).
> This hostname also matches up on the ip address for my NIC
> (192.168.2.10) - They must exactly match.
> the command 'hostname' merely prints whatever it obtained from
> /etc/sysconfig/network and any subsequent operations that might change
> that such as settings in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 or
> commands such as 'hostname newhostname' but this last type of
> modification is lost on next boot.
> Thus it isn't about having coded .localdomain, but rather about a FQDN
> (fully qualified domain name) and whether this fqdn matches the value
> returned by the command hostname.
> Craig

     Well, sorry but I have to take issue with one small point in what you say
because, omitting the domain name portion in BOTH /etc/hosts and in
/etc/sysconfig/network makes the names match exactly, but that is exactly the
configuration that was causing me so much grief.
     With non-qualified (i.e., missing the domain portion) names in BOTH
places, *ALMOST* everything works fine. But, with that setting, sendmail's
startup is VERY slow (some multiple of 2 minutes).
     Adding the actual domain in both places is one solution, but that forces
my system into a specific domain which causes problems when I'm travelling
and sitting on someone else's network. Instead, I omit the domain portion of
the name.
     And, apparently in consequence of that omission, I need the
".localdomain" in /etc/hosts.
     Perhaps because of my travel requirements, I guess my configuration is
somewhat unique.
    To wrap up, my /etc/sysconfig/network is:
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=bobby

And my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is:
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

And, finally, my /etc/hosts is: