Re: Open Source C (maybe ++ type) compiler for both Linux an…

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Open Source C (maybe ++ type) compiler for both Linux and Windows
On Mar 18, 2004, at 12:28 PM, George Gambill wrote:

> Many years ago (before Visual C, etc.), is was my understanding that
> code written for Microsoft C compilers was not guaranteed to run on
> Borland's C compilers (and vise versa).
>
> This is the main issue. I am looking for one (for both) or two (one
> each Linux and MS) compiler(s) that are reasonably certain to respect
> the others source code.

Ah! Last time I checked, The MS compilers were much closer to
implementing the ANSI/ISO standard versions of C and C++. MS was still
farther away from full standards compliance than many of its
competitors. GCC is very standards compliant if you set the options
right. Here is a page about writing applications for a Windows target
with GCC <http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/>
CodeWarrior is another great compiler that is very standards compliant
and comes in versions that run on Windows, Linux and Mac OS. It is a
commercial product though, that is not cheap unless you are a student.
The versions that run on each target will produce binaries for all
targets as well as for the console game machines.

I once had a contract porting C++ code from Windows to Linux and Mac
OS. CodeWarrior was a joy because it would flag all the nonstandard
Visual C++ code and then compile it anyway.