Re: Open Source C (maybe ++ type) compiler for both Linux an…

Author: JD Austin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Open Source C (maybe ++ type) compiler for both Linux and Windows
Another option which is probably more than you want is to install cygwin.
Cygwin is a linux like environment that runs on windows.
It includes most of the tools that are used in Linux
including gcc, perl, etc.
I believe it is possible to run the compiled result if the cygwin.dll is in the
path when the executable runs.

JD
Quoting George Gambill <>:

> Thanks for all the responses. I think you have given me the answer I am
> looking however, let me explain a bit deeper.
>
> Many years ago (before Visual C, etc.), is was my understanding that code
> written for Microsoft C compilers was not guaranteed to run on Borland's C
> compilers (and vise versa).
>
> This is the main issue. I am looking for one (for both) or two (one each
> Linux and MS) compiler(s) that are reasonably certain to respect the others
> source code.
>
> > Joseph Gledhill wrote:
> > If you are not stuck on C, perl or Java will do this.
>
> Joseph, C is preferred where performance dictates C. Where performance does
> not dictate C, I am looking at Python. That subject is open for discussion.
>
> > Bart Garst wrote:
> > So, you can write 'portable' code, meaning it will compile and run on
> > both Linux & windows, but you cannot compile on one and run on the
> > other.
>
> Bart, I have no problem with needing to compile on Linux for the Linux side
> while needing to compile on Windows for the Windows side. Thanks
>
> > Chris Gehlker wrote:
> > GCC is a cross compiler so you
> > can specify the target Processor/OS combination and it doesn't have to
> > be the same as the combination you are running on. On the other hand,
> > there is simply no way (ignoring fat binaries which will take us far
> > afield) that you can specify one binary for multiple targets.
>
> Chris,
>
> Thanks, I think this is just what I am needing.
>
> > Now I have to ask, given that this is a Linux list, why can't you
> > simply distribute the source?
>
> I have no problems with distributing (sharing) the source. I doubt anyone
> but CGC would be interested.
>
> > "Alex Earl" Wrote:
> > There is mingw32 which will compile windows applications on Linux, its
> > part of the gcc collection I believe, but you have to install it
> > seperately.
>
> Alex,
>
> Thanks, I am looking in to this.
>
> Thanks all. You got me going and that is what I needed.
>
> George

JD Austin
email:
http://www.twingeckos.com