Re: Local mailer troubles

Author: AZ Pete
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Local mailer troubles
I'm quite sure no MTA is running on the box that works:

1) I did a netstat and there are no services listening on port 25

2) when I telnet localhost 25, I get "connection refused"

3) When I originally set up this box, I removed sendmail from the startup
scripts, so it would never start. I was always under the impression that
local mail delivery did not require an MTA. I thought when sendmail
receives mail from the outside and determines that the recipient is a local
user, sendmail hands the message off to the local mail delivery agent.

At any rate, on the one machine where local mail delivery works, sendmail
is NOT running. No MTA is running. I just want the same thing to work on
the other box. Any other thoughts??

Thanks,
Peter