Re: Remote Desktop server for linux

Author: Bart Garst
To: PLUG Discuss
Subject: Re: Remote Desktop server for linux
On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 10:17, wrote:
> I would like to be able to log on to a GUI remotely over the Internet from
> Windows machines. VNC seems like the easiest soultion, but my understanding is
> that it is extreemely insecure. SSH with X seems like a real pain in the
> backside to setup on both sides. Remote Desktop can easily be installed or is
> already on most windows machines, but I have not been able to find any linux
> servers for RDP.
>
> Any suggestions or alternatives?

I need to say up front that I'm not an expert with ssh or vnc, however,
I found it quite easy to tunnel a vnc session from my windows machine
(on my LAN) to my linux machine (also on my LAN) through ssh.

I have yet to be able to accomplish this from the Internet though (port
forwarding issues with my firewall - I think).

Here's how I did it (using Putty & Vnc-viewer on windows):
Start vncserver on linux - pay attention to which port it's listening to
(192.168.0.1:1 is port 5901).
Open putty with tunneling enabled as "L5901 192.168.0.1:5901"

Start vnc-viewer with 127.0.0.1:1

I don't remember any configuration issues with vncserver (installed from
rpm).
I got vncviewer from: http://www.realvnc.com/
And putty from: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

I know I didn't solve your problem but I hope I've given you some useful
info (since no one else was responding).

Bart