Re: cdrom will not read

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: cdrom will not read
> Hi all,
>
>    My cdrom will not read any meadia at all, either burned cd's or
> bought ones. Here is my fstab file, I do get a message that a final
> newline is missing.

This is probably something you've checked already but just in case: I have a
DVD player on one of my machines that was intermittent. At first I thought
Linux had somehow gotten messed up, because I was running a very heavy load
on that machine, and actually rebooted. Then I thought it was the cabling.
One Saturday I decided I needed to fix it, and after a couple of hours of
fiddling with the cabling and disconnecting and reconnecting the other
peripherals, with it working and then not working, I decided to try the
obvious. I put a CD in, stuck a pair of headphones in the jack, and pressed
the play button on the front of the drive. It didn't play. Just to be sure
that some misbehaving piece of software hadn't hosed it up, I rebooted the
machine in DOS and tried again. The drive had been on its way out all along
- and unfortunately was only a year old. :-(

Vaughn

BTW, the CD was detected and would mount. You just couldn't do anything with
it.