Cox Internet problem resolution for Idiots

Author: Lee Einer
To: PLUG
Subject: Cox Internet problem resolution for Idiots
Of which I may be one. Let me tell you of my adventures.

About 2:30 this AM, during the rainstorm, I completely lost my Cox cable
internet connection. All of the lights on the modem went out except the
first two. Later, like 5:00 AM, the modem was back doing it's happy
blinky-blinky, but things had gotten weird. My internet access was way
slow, and access to many pages just timed out, although I checked, and I
was not just accessing cached pages, I could access other pages, slowly.
But heres the strangest thing. I was receiving e-mails just fine, but
could not send one. I could ping my POP server, but not my SMTP server.
I also could not ping Cox, or even my own website.

So I called customer service, got escalated from level one to level two,
and eventually had to leave for work. Came home tonight, called Cox
back, and after several misadventures in customer service, got hold of
another level 2 guy, who really wanted to help, and tried, but could not
because it's Linux. Not supported. He was able to tell me, though, that
he could ping my modem, he could read my card, but he could not ping my
computer.

Well, that was a clue, anyway. I tried the traditional tricks of
rebooting the pc, unplugging and resetting the modem, reconfiguring my
internet connection. Buzzard luck. Then, a dim memory of the ancient
horrors of Corel Linux came to me, and I knew- somehow, some way, DHCPCD
was borked and needed nudging.

Man DHCPCD. Hm. -k looks like a good switch to start with. Purge the
cache and see if we can start anew. No luck, still the bad connection.
Man DHCPCD. -D, forces DHCPCD to set the domain name of the host to the
name supplied by the server. Could it be? DHCPCD -k again, then DHCPCD -D.

Eureka! Instant internet connection.

I am saving this e-mail as a "note to self" in case it happens again.

--

Lee Einer
Dos Manos Jewelry