Re: CVS opinions

Author: Derek Neighbors
To: plug-discuss
CC: tvat3000
Subject: Re: CVS opinions
Don Calfa said:
> What is everyone's opinion on CVS? I've heard a lot of bad yet it's
> still widely used.

It is not "bad", it just is short on features compared to some of its
propreitary counterparts. Many of these features you don't use until you
get into more complex projects or uses of version control.

> I have a situation where we are currently using Microsoft VSS which also
> seems to be part of Server 2003 now. The developers 'hate' VSS and
> want something else. Their history with other Source Control systems
> also have poor reviews from them. None of them have used CVS so CVS
> sounds attractive to them. The other attractive note about CVS is that
> our Mac clients can now have source control.

VSS is should be aptly named Virtual Son of Satan (VSS) as it is almost as
much a spawn of the evil one as Power Point. Yes I was forced to use it
for years and I do *know*.

> I've been given a 'go' to investigate CVS, do some installations,
> backups, catastrophic failures of server, restores, etc...
> I'd like to see some opinions on it because I've never heard "CVS is
> great!". Either we go ahead and convert all our VSS to CVS or just put
> up with VSS.

I strongly suggest you look at subversions[0]. It just released version
1.0 this week. Also it has a great book[1] from red-bean just like CVS
had. We have moved to it for GNU Enterprise and are really liking it. I
have moved internal company work to it as well.

There is also arch[2], but I don't recommend it at this time. In the
future, it maybe the best, but right now its still immature.

You can find a comparison[3] of source control management systems though
it might be slightly stale.

-Derek

[0] http://subversion.tigris.org/
[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/