Web Credit Card Transactions

Author: Jay Jacobson
Subject: Web Credit Card Transactions

This can be a tricky situation. Often, you do not want to go the
"cheapest" route. Remember, you are dealing with cash here and you want a
provider/service that is reputable, stable, honest, and provides good
service/support.

I did a lot of research in this area about two years ago when I was
setting up the credit card processing systems for Edgeos. I found
that paying a couple extra pennies per transaction can be well worth it.

You will need a few items to do credit card processing seamlessly in
real-time from your web site. These things are:

  * A bank account
    You know what this is - the place where your money is held.

  * A merchant account
    This is like a pseudo-bank account. This is the account where
    the credit card companies put the cash for your transactions, then
    the merchant account provider electronically transferrs the money
    to your bank account in daily and/or weekly batches.

  * A merchant gateway provider
    This is the middle man between your web server and the merchant
    account. Basically, your web server (to do real-time transactions)
    talks HTTP and SSL. However, the merchant account provider typically
    does not. They talk some protocol (???) that is what those
    swipe-your-card terminals talk. Thus, the gateway acts as the
    middle man to allow your web server (HTTP/SSL) to talk to the
    merchant account to authorize/process/charge transactions.

  * Code on your web server to talk to/from the merchant gateway
    This is just what is sounds like... the code (PHP? CGI? Perl? Python?
    Whatever...) that runs on your web server to talk with the merchant
    gateway. Many reputable gateway providers will give you free chunks
    of code you can use, and/or they will give you documentation about how
    to write your own interface. Fear not, once you read the
    documentation, you will see that this is actually pretty simple.

Some services may bundle some of these things together. Others may not.
Having all of these components will allow your business to directly
process all your own credit card transactions. Getting it set up can take
some time, but once it is done, you can just about unlimited flexibility
and the lowest rates.

For a new or small business, typically the hardest part is getting the
merchant account. The best way I have found to accomplish this is through
Costco. If your business is a Costco Executive Member (~$100/year) you get
*tons* of benefits through the Costco network. In addition to being able
to shop in all the stores, they have a wealth of business services that
are only available to their Executive Members. Once of these services is
merchant accounts - Costco partners with Nova Merchant Systems. Nova is
the world's second largest merchant account company. Stable, reputable,
fast, and efficient. Best of all, as a Costco member, you even get a
"special" help desk / customer support number. In my experience, they have
been very fast and helpful.

Your bank account can be just about anything/anywhere. It may have to be a
business checking account, but other than that, just about any bank
account will work. Basically, the bank account is just receiving
electronic deposits from the merchant account.

As for the merchant account gateway provider, I use a company called
IONGate. They have been very good, no noticable downtime, very simple
implementation/integration, quality service, plenty of
accounting/tracking/reporting/manual-processing tools, etc... They are
also the gateway provider that Costco recommended. I have been happy with
their service.

The last part is just the piece of code that runs on your web server to
talk to the merchant gateway. We used the documentation from IONGate and
coded our own custom client to speak with their systems. Nonetheless, they
do also offer pre-built modules in PHP, C, Perl, and Python. The code is
free for their customers and does include source.

I hope this helps. Basically, the place to start is to go to Costco and
signup as an Executive Member. Also at the customer service desk at any
Cosco, they will have brochures about their merchant processing services
for Executive Members.

~Jay