Web Credit Card Transactions

Author: Austin Godber
Subject: Web Credit Card Transactions
Hello Everyone,
    Finally time to help my parents with a website and I am looking into
credit card processing from a website.  Anyone have experience with
this?  Is there a recommended way to accomplish it using PHP on a Linux
machine?  Oh perl is an option too.

    I have checked out authorize.net and some of their resellers.  I have
also seen some products that don't use Authorize.net's gateway service.

    It appears that you can handle the transaction yourself using some
special libraries or use a third party site for payment and maybe
shopping cart as well.  Am I understanding this correctly?

Any tips on this?

Austin

PS - sorry if you get multiple copies ... I don't know whether the
original will end up getting sent.