vDSL Modem Issues

Author: Kyle Faber
Subject: vDSL Modem Issues
On Monday 09 February 2004 7:28 am, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2004, at 11:01 PM, Ted Gould wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 22:11, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> >> My point was only that if they provide vDSL then the line quality is
> >> good enough for other forms of DSL as well. I wouldn't guess the rat=

> >> has anything to do with the drop on release problem either.
> >
> > Actually, I was talking to one of the Qwest techs and he said that in
> > the areas that they've installed vDSL it seems like it interferes wit=

> > the other DSLs. Also, considering how different the network
> > architecture is, having one doesn't imply the other. The line qualit=

> > for the short distance might be good enough - but that doesn't mean
> > there is equipment at the end of the line.
>
> That interesting about vDSL interfering with the other kinds. I do
> believe they said that they had the equipment for old DSL wherever the
> line would support it.

Also not quite true. I've talked with my Qwest Rep many times about how=20
exactly Qwest decides to rollout ADSL in a particular neighborhood. =20
Basically, the equipment is rather expensive and their 'litmus' test for =
it=20
is if they can pay it off in 5 years with projected subscriber installs. =
If=20
they don't think that X number of people who will be qualified for the=20
service will sign up and stick around for 5 years, then they don't roll i=
t=20
out. Flagstaff and Sedona (until very recently) are examples of areas th=
at=20
were more than qualified line-wise, but did not have 'hot' Central Office=
s.

vDSL seems to be the bastard child that half the company wants to forget.=
=20
Every other time I talk to Qwest, they are 'phasing it out' and 'not=20
accepting any new subscribers' and then I'll talk to a customer who has=20
gotten literature about it. I think that they are keeping the service on=
the=20
downlow so that the PUC doesn't force them to open the ISP side to=20
competitors. =20

As for vDSL vs ADSL availability. They are two completely different=20
technologies that run in completely different frequency ranges. Having o=
ne=20
does not infer you can receive the other, nor does it necessarily preclud=
e=20
it.=20

--=20
Kyle Faber
Account Manager
EMR Internet

623-581-0842 voice
623-582-9499 fax

UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the United States and=
=20
other countries.