Tivo hopes and dreams

Author: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Tivo hopes and dreams
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Bryce C wrote:~
> > > diagram? I am
> > > everything be able

> > Quoting :
> > > What is the advantage of networking the tivo's? Are they running
> > > Debian
> > > or stock tivo load? Are they directtv tivo's?
> > >
> > > Jim
> >
> > First off if anyone has any 4.0 Tivo OS image I would love to beg it off you.
> >
> > At this point I am just evaluating my options as to what I could do. I now own 1
> > Directivo and one MS Ultimatetv (a far better designed machine which is far more
> > responsive even though it has a slower processor and half the RAM on the same
> > architecture) I am considering selling my UTV to buy another DTV. As it is a
> > Directivo the Home Media Option (a way to stream media from one tivo to another
> > across a wired or wireless LAN) will likely not be availible for quite some time
> > so it would be nice to something like that myself.
> >
> > I would very much like to get video extraction working on both tivo's if I were
> > to get another one, and perhaps install debian on one and use it as very high
> > uptime samba server for me to backup data and to feed music/vidoes to the
> > xbox's. (It would also be cool if I could get a DHCP sever going) I am one of
> > those people that is constantly messing with my desktop until it does not work
> > so getting a server that I would not have to worry about would be sweet. My big
> > concern is that running a samba server in the backround would make a tivoso slow
> > as to be unuseable.
> >
> > This sounds like a project that if I wrote it up well I could submit to /. ...
>
> You might also look at MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org). I'm not sure
> whether or how well it runs on Tivo hardware but it sounds perfect for
> your project. You could still run a samba server, a dhcp server, and
> stream your TV recordings (and live TV too) to other mythfrontend
> installs anywhere.
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Bryce C <>
> CoBryce Communications

A series 2 tivo is basicly a 200 Mhz MIPS computer with 64 MB of RAM, so even
if Mythtv compiled cleanely (which I have serious doublts about) then I would
have to start begging tivo for drivers for directv hardware which I would
place serious money on them turning me down for. Tivo OS has enough issues
with being slow on it's own hardware that I vermuch doublt that it other
software would run well. For comparison MS Ultimatv
which is very similar in hardware except half (MIPS 100 Mhz 32 MB ram if I
remember correctly) runs far faster, but runs windows CE... and tivo series 1
run on a 50 Mhz PowerPC with 32 mb ram...