Was: Problem building alsa Now:running Xine

Author: Vaughn Treude
Subject: Was: Problem building alsa Now:running Xine
> Vaughn Treude wrote:
> > Hello all:
> > Quick question - probably I've missed something obvious. I'm trying to
> > build the alsa drivers (version 1.01) on a machine running Red Hat 8.
> > (It's a Sony notebook, the sound has never worked under Linux, though it
> > works in Windows. This new alsa is supposed to handle my SoundMax driver
> > hardware.) The library portion built OK, but the "configure" file under
> > the driver directory is looking for a file called
> > /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h. I didn't have the kernel
> > sources on this machine, so I got the CD and installed the file
> > kernel-2.4.18-14.src.rpm, then unpacked it as the "linux" directory. For
> > some reason there's no version.h file under linux/include/linux, so the
> > configure script still doesn't run (yes, I redirected it to
> > /usr/redhat/SOURCES/linux, which is the actual place RH puts it.) I
> > suppose I need to find a different SRPM to install but I don't have a
> > clue which one. Any suggestions? Thanks!
>
> Remove what you untarred from the src.rpm and install the
> kernel-source-<version>.rpm from the binary rpm directories of the cds.
> This will put all the stuff you need in the right place.

Thanks for the clue - I guess I was pretty clueless about finding the source
on the Red Hat disk.   After a bit of configuration effort, I got the also
drivers compiled and installed and, lo, my Sony plays CD's.  Now I want it to
play DVD's - can't stand the fact that I can only do this on the Win ME side.
 I've downloaded Xine 0.9.13 and its associated libraries, including the
decryption stuff that they don't include.    When I try to play a DVD, I get
this error:

-xine engine error-

There is no input plugin available to handle
'dvd://VIDEO_TS.VOB'.
Maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesn't exist.

Looking at the Xine configuration dialogs it seems that Xine doesn't know
that libdvdcss (v. 1.2.8) is installed, and I don't see a place to set this.
Anybody know how I do that? Another bit of info: although I've been able
to compile and install libdvdnav, I have not been able to compile the
xine-dvdnav plugin.

Thanks,
Vaughn