Problem building alsa

Author: Kevin Brown
New-Topics: Was: Problem building alsa Now:running Xine
Subject: Problem building alsa
Vaughn Treude wrote:

> Hello all:
> Quick question - probably I've missed something obvious. I'm trying to build
> the alsa drivers (version 1.01) on a machine running Red Hat 8. (It's a Sony
> notebook, the sound has never worked under Linux, though it works in Windows.
> This new alsa is supposed to handle my SoundMax driver hardware.) The
> library portion built OK, but the "configure" file under the driver directory
> is looking for a file called /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h. I
> didn't have the kernel sources on this machine, so I got the CD and installed
> the file kernel-2.4.18-14.src.rpm, then unpacked it as the "linux" directory.
> For some reason there's no version.h file under linux/include/linux, so the
> configure script still doesn't run (yes, I redirected it to
> /usr/redhat/SOURCES/linux, which is the actual place RH puts it.) I suppose
> I need to find a different SRPM to install but I don't have a clue which one.
> Any suggestions? Thanks!

Remove what you untarred from the src.rpm and install the
kernel-source-<version>.rpm from the binary rpm directories of the cds. This
will put all the stuff you need in the right place.

src.rpm's are used to build the rpm's from source (rpmbuild --rebuild *.src.rpm).