OT - Cox Cable Modem Software Upgrade

Author: Kevin
Subject: OT - Cox Cable Modem Software Upgrade
On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 12:04, Austin Godber wrote:
> Do your PF rules block non-routeable private IPs {127.0.0.0/8,
> 192.168.0.0/16, 172.16.0.0/12, 10.0.0.0/8} ? This would prevent any
> of your requests to port 80 on the modem (outside your firewall) from
> getting back to you. If so, you can allow from that IP only.

Good call, but I disabled pf for the test. Anyway, curiosity got the
best of me. So, I connected my linux laptop the ethernet port on the
terayon and cycled it's power. I statically assigned 192.168.100.2 to
the laptop and I was able to see the webpage. Sort of.

It's a frames-based page and it seems to load unreliably. Repeatedly
reloading the page would sometimes load all the frames, but usually only
pieces. The browser would report a "connection refused" error for each
frame that didn't load. Looks like the built-in httpd must have a
concurrent connection limit that it tripping things up.

Regardless, not much there except some status info. No other links,
menus, or buttons on the page. Then, I specifically called the page you
mentioned (http://192.168.100.1/showModemRf) and I was able to see the
RF stats for the modem.

Two questions:
1) What other pages are hidden in there? Any docs available?
2) Are the reading below typical?

Tx Power 47.5 dBmV
Rx Power 6.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR 31.9 dB