Exchange replacement

Author: June Tate
Subject: Exchange replacement
--=-4VIR0ZZg+ZCTERTncIRg

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 15:34, Bill Lindley wrote:
> It's my understanding LDAP only works "read-only" for shared contacts? =20
> Meaning, users can read the shared address book, but there's no way to=20
> write to it?

Actually, if you have write privileges in that DN (i.e. not just
anonymously accessing the server), then supposedly any client can make
changes to it. The trick is, however, finding a client that will
actually _do_ something like that. Virtually all mail clients that I
have seen that can access an LDAP database do not allow you to add
entries (that includes Mozilla, Netscape, Thunderbird, and the current
stable version of Evolution).

Evolution currently has a bounty out on it's address book component to
provide LDAP writing capability for it, however, so we may soon see this
functionality in a future stable version.

If anyone knows of any other clients that can write, I'd be interested
to know -- we're trying to move to an LDAP backend for most of our
servers and other LDAP aware software, and having a client that is
capable would make the transition a little easier.

--=20
June Tate * * http://www.theonelab.com

--=-4VIR0ZZg+ZCTERTncIRg

--=-4VIR0ZZg+ZCTERTncIRg--