Which distro for the enterprise now?

Author: Scott H
Subject: Which distro for the enterprise now?
I can't believe I'm asking this question, but it
is time again to ask it. What distro is best?
Now before you either laugh or flame me off the
mailing list, here's where I'm at -

I'm not naive enough to really think a particular
distro is "best". I am the SE at a mid-sized
corp, with about 1500 client machines and 25-30
servers. I began introducing Linux to this
company a couple of years ago and we now have 3
Red Hat servers and several of the junior admins
run Linux on the desktop. I am being encouraged
to do more with OSS. (Hurray!) I originally
suggested to my company that we standardize on a
distro, and selected RH. Their new licensing is
of course now making us reconsider that choice.
Now I'm all for putting money back into Linux
(especially when it's the companies, and not
mine! :) I'm not looking for Linux for free
(beer). But my company wants to control costs,
and I can't really suggest going forward with
RHEL servers at $800+/yr a pop and rolling out
RHEL WS desktops at $150+/yr subscriptions. What
are other admins doing? I have my own opinions
on what I like for my own desktop, and I don't
need hot-headed religious babble. But I would
very much like some reasoned discussion on the
options for business Linux! Thanks very much for
your comments.

.