Linux in business

Author: Craig White
Subject: Linux in business
On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 20:18, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2004, at 3:40 PM, Joe Toon wrote:
>
> > People could case less about operating systems. the fact that not a
> > lot of "suits" showed up is not terribly surprising. For many people,
> > that probably sounds about as fascinating as having a tooth extracted
> > or attending a meeting on new GAAP accounting regulations or similar.
> >
> > What business people respond to is costs. Plain and simple. If they
> > can do something to increase profits, then they are all for it. If you
> > truly want to get business people excited about deploying Linux, then
> > you have to show them that others have done it and have been very
> > successful at increasing the bottom line.
>
> Here's what worked for me with some small businesses and non-profit
> orgs.
>
> 1) Find a business with 3-5 users and an aging box running Win 2000
> server
> 2) Let MS pre-sell them on the need to upgrade to Win 2003 server
> 3) Show them the savings they can achieve by moving to Linux/Samba on
> their existing hardware
>
> Note: I think of this as client service. It's incidental that it
> introduces them to Linux.

---
the fact of the matter is that Windows 2000 server runs well enough,
uptimes are quite good and are easier for a non-tech to maintain (i.e. -
setup domain user accounts, back up, etc.)

The issues are not necessarily cost or ease of use but is about lock up
/ tie up / and subjecting a business, your business, to the corporate
whims of Microsoft. They require licenses for everything you do, and
obtain the right to inspect your software, your premises and your
computers by virtue of simply installing the software. You don't own the
software, merely get a license to use it, which is non-transferable,
meaning you have to continually repurchase the right to use it. More
than anything else, Linux represents an element of control over their
computers that they will never get from Microsoft. The money factor is a
red herring that most businesses will only view as peanuts.

Craig