CD sound

Author: Craig White
Subject: CD sound
On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 12:59, Roy Babin wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Have you tried press the 'play' button on the CD drive itself?
> >
> > Turn the 'CD audio' volume knob up in your favourite mixer, and ensure
> > that the CD actually has a cable to the sound card (or mainboard
> > integrated audio). The cable is 3 to 4 wires usually.
> >

> There is no cable from CD to the sound card or the main board. However
> I do get it to work with BillG`s
> OS, I hate to addmit that i have that on my cpu.Thank you. maybe
> someone else had simaler prob and found the solution, hopefully.

----
I don't know of any CD player / software capable of playing the music
tracks off the cd drive without an audio cable from the cd to the sound
input whether on the motherboard (if motherboard is providing sound) or
to a PCI/ISA card. I'm not saying it can't be done because there is a
data cable but this would require cpu & bus and would be terribly
inefficient and would have to be cached somewhere to not totally
interfere with other processes. Might Windows break common sense rules?

It would seem to me that if the system is dual-boot (not my idea of a
good idea) and if it plays when Windows is booted, then there is an
audio cable connected and that your problem is more likely the input
channel mixer needs adjustment. Don't know about SuSE and especially
don't trust what I see on Red Hat Fedora in either Gnome or KDE to be
similar to other distro's Gnome and KDE to specifically tell you where
the mixer application might accessed.

Craig