wierdness with 100BaseT interface in linux.

Author: technomage
Subject: wierdness with 100BaseT interface in linux.
ok, this is a repeat of the last message I sent. However, I have some new
info.....

I've got a real pickle of a problem here. my newest machine seems to have
slower transfer rates on the lan than any of the others. In linux, I can't
seem to get any faster than 40 KBytes/sec throughput to any other machine, in
any mode of file transfer (be it samba, ftp, whatever). I've tried ethtool to
improve things but it doesn't work as expected.

The ethernet device on board is a via-rhine chipset.

**** clip from harddrake data *****
Vendor: ‎VIA Technologies

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus identification: ‎1106:3065:1106:102

Location on the bus: ‎0:12:0

Module: ‎via-rhine

Media class: ‎NETWORK_ETHERNET

******************

now, the real interesting thing about this is, when I dual boot into windows,
this device works perfectly (at full bandwidth). so, I ask, what the hell is
going on?

*** new info: ok, its only working 100BaseT for inbound. all outbound in linux
seems to be at 40 KB/sec and there doesn't appear to be any way to improve
this. Also, I have tried disabling the internal lan interface (via bios) and
use a plug in card, what I get is: the card is seen, and configured but I
cannot sent any traffic to the rest of the lan (no route to host). all other
variables (such as the routing tables and the like) appear good. so......

someone got any meaningful answers (I spent 6 hours on this yesterday and this
is all I could come up with)

Technomage