wierdness with 100BaseT interface in linux.

Author: technomage
Subject: wierdness with 100BaseT interface in linux.
ok,

I've got a real pickle of a problem here. my newest machine seems to have
slower transfer rates on the lan than any of the others. In linux, I can't
seem to get any faster than 40 KBytes/sec throughput to any other machine, in
any mode of file transfer (be it samba, ftp, whatever). I've tried ethtool to
improve things but it doesn't work as expected.

The ethernet device on board is a via-rhine chipset.

**** clip from harddrake data *****
Vendor: ‎VIA Technologies

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus identification: ‎1106:3065:1106:102

Location on the bus: ‎0:12:0

Module: ‎via-rhine

Media class: ‎NETWORK_ETHERNET

now, the real interesting thing about this is, when I dual boot into windows,
this device works perfectly (at full bandwidth). so, I ask, what the hell is
going on?

someone got any meaningful answers (I spent 6 hours on this yesterday and this
is all I could come up with)

Technomage