Cable Modem Recommend

Author: Eric Richardson
Subject: Cable Modem Recommend
Jonathan Claxton wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Eric Richardson wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>My mother in law is getting Cox internet and I was wondering if anybody
>>had cable modem recommendations.
>>She has a Mac using OSX if this matters. Do you have to use a USB serial
>>connection to set things up or will it just work by hooking it up?
>>
>>I have DSL so I'm really not up on this subject. I saw some modems at
>>Comp USA for 59.00 and 79.00 but didn't see much difference other than
>>brand.
>>

>I have a LinkSys cable modem and it works just fine for the last 18
>months.
>
>Are you going to get a router too? If not, you might want to rethink if
>you going to use more than one PC thru the modem.

Gosh, I thought that it would be similar to DSL where you can have
NAT'ed addresses and block ports etc. like the cisco 675 and its
sucessors. So I guess you are saying that it is only a modem and you get
real IPs form cox. She will only run the Mac which is pretty good and
has some firewall software that can be turned on. It comes default with
anti-spoofing on like Debian and all services off so it should be pretty
safe. I certainly am no expert on security but I think it will be okay.
I can't see her doing any other networking.

Thanks for the heads up.
Eric