Cable Modem Recommend

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Cable Modem Recommend
On Dec 25, 2003, at 1:45 PM, Eric Richardson wrote:

> Gosh, I thought that it would be similar to DSL where you can have
> NAT'ed addresses and block ports etc. like the cisco 675 and its
> sucessors. So I guess you are saying that it is only a modem and you
> get real IPs form cox. She will only run the Mac which is pretty good
> and has some firewall software that can be turned on. It comes default
> with anti-spoofing on like Debian and all services off so it should be
> pretty safe. I certainly am no expert on security but I think it will
> be okay. I can't see her doing any other networking.

My understanding is that most cable modems are just modems. They aren't
modem/routers like the 675s. I forget whether she was getting a desktop
or a laptop but if it's a laptop she might want to consider a wireless
router to go with the cable modem. They are sometimes around $20 with
rebates. Then she can wonder around the house and still have
connectivity.