Not your typical X question...

Author: Kevin
Subject: Not your typical X question...
On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 22:11, Ted Gould wrote:
> The copy protection stuff is HDCP, and I thought that most
> implementations would work with connecting a non-encrypted signal in.
> (so the fact that your PC doesn't encrypt shouldn't bother you TV, but
> if you tried to take a VCR output into a non-encrypted display it
> shouldn't work). The protocol is stupid simple though, so I wouldn't be
> surprised if there was a card out there that supported it. I'd look at
> something from ATI for this because they make lots of consumer
> electronics chips also.

Got it. This would be the ultimate connection for my application. I'll
try to find a linux-friendly video card with DVI out. What does this
mean if I buy an HD receiver later on? I only have a single DVI input
on the TV. Will I have to buy a DVI switchbox or something?

> As far as the conversion from RGB to YPrPb, it isn't a big deal - but it
> seems like everyone wants to charge like it is. I think that if you go
> to Ultimate Electronics they'll sell you one for ~$100 or so. If you
> get that you should be able to do full 1080i (or 1080p if your TV
> supports it). You might have to write some mode lines for X - I don't
> know if those are built in yet (they're not that hard to write).

Something like this should work, right?
http://www.audioauthority.com/aacconsumers/9a60detc.html

By the way, I have used videogen to write mode lines before. Seems to
work pretty well:
http://software.freshmeat.net/projects/videogen/

> Sorry I can't give more pratical details, I haven't done any of this
> with a PC or anything like that. If you have questions about the
> protocols or formats I can babble some more - but I don't know any
> specific cards that can help.

Ted, thanks for the brain dump. This is _very_ helpful and gets me
pointed in the right direction. I appreciate it! I'll post my solution
to the list for archiving.

...Kevin