GUI Development Libraries

Author: Nathan England
Subject: GUI Development Libraries

Am 29 Samstag, November 2003 06:41 vormittags schrieb Vaughn Treude:

I'm not too worried about buying the license for QT to sell Windows apps. I=
=20
would only be doing linux front ends. But eventually, I do want the option =
of=20
a windows frontend. So the 1200 for the license doesn't bother me. Besides,=
I=20
buy the license and I can sell to my hearts content.

Thanks all.

Nathan

> That brings up another issue. I don't know about Gtk, but QT is extremely
> cross-platform, you get libraries for and recompile it on Mac and Windows.
> But if I'm not mistaken, the non-Linux platforms don't have free versions,
> and all of the commerical licenses are quite expensive - somewhere around=

> thousand bucks. A cheaper alternative for commercial QT projects is to
> use Borland's Kylix, which embeds the QT libraries. Kylix has a free
> version and a commercial version (around $300 or so) and you can use eith=

er
> C++ or their Delphi-style Object Pascal. Support is pretty crappy, though
> - you have to pay extra for just about everything, and good Kylix books a=

re
> hard to find. Even so, it's fairly powerful, and with a little digging you
> can usually find solutions on the Web. Another downside is that Kylix ap=

ps
> have a pretty big memory footprint, starting at 8MB when you first fire
> them up. Despite the fact that Kylix is a reasonably good IDE, I'll
> probably try something else on my next project. I'd like to go with Qt,
> especially since I prefer C++ - but due to cost issues, if it's a
> commercial thing I'd be inclined to go with Gtk+.
>
> Vaughn Treude
> Nakota Software, INc.
>
> On Friday 28 November 2003 21:17, you wrote:
> > Another thing regarding QT:
> > It is one of the most common GUI systems in embedded apps..Sharp
> > Zarious, for instance, uses QT..though they are using the Embedded
> > versoin, which costs dollars.

> > > There are lots of reasons for going with one or the other.. but in my
> > > experience, it always comes down to the these two:
> > >
> > > 1. Gtk+ is C, Qt is C++
> > > 2. Gtk+ is free to use for commercial projects, Qt isn't
> > >
> > > For instance, I tend to always gravitate towards C++ given a choice.
> > > I've done some Gtk+ programming over the years (mostly back in the day
> > > during my attempts at cross-desktop interoperability) and I've always
> > > found it extremely frustrating. It's a PITA to do any kind of
> > > programming using Gtk+ while Qt makes it nearly trivial... to me. I'=

ve
> > > run across scores of people that had the exact opposite reaction,
> > > though. C is the only language to use while C++ just adds unnecessary
> > > cruft. I haven't run across all that many people that have liked BOTH
> > > Gtk+ and Qt, though.
> > >
> > > Really, both a very full-featured. Get a few tutorials on programming
> > > for both and try them out yourselves. I'd bet that you'd discover
> > > pretty quickly which one you preferred.

=2D --=20

Nathan England

nathan at the-arcanum.org
jabber id:

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
=2D --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Todays Fortune:

Carelessly planned projects take three times longer to complete than
expected. Carefully planned projects take four times longer to
complete than expected, mostly because the planners expect their
planning to reduce the time it takes.