GUI Development Libraries

Author: Bryce C
Subject: GUI Development Libraries
--=-X0EKyeGUCNvM970y9wZD

GTK+ is available for every major platform. For example, look at Gaim
(http://gaim.sf.net) whose GTK+ interface is the very same one used in
the windows port. GTK+, and GLIB is/are extremely portable and that's
their purpose. GLIB gives you things like int32 so that you will always
be using 32-bit ints where you think you are.

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 06:41, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> That brings up another issue. I don't know about Gtk, but QT is extremel=

y=20
> cross-platform, you get libraries for and recompile it on Mac and Windows=

. =20
> But if I'm not mistaken, the non-Linux platforms don't have free versions=

,=20
> and all of the commerical licenses are quite expensive - somewhere around=

a=20
> thousand bucks. A cheaper alternative for commercial QT projects is to =

use=20
> Borland's Kylix, which embeds the QT libraries. Kylix has a free version=

and=20
> a commercial version (around $300 or so) and you can use either C++ or th=

eir=20
> Delphi-style Object Pascal. Support is pretty crappy, though - you have =

to=20
> pay extra for just about everything, and good Kylix books are hard to fin=

d. =20
> Even so, it's fairly powerful, and with a little digging you can usually =

find=20
> solutions on the Web. Another downside is that Kylix apps have a pretty =

big=20
> memory footprint, starting at 8MB when you first fire them up. Despite =

the=20
> fact that Kylix is a reasonably good IDE, I'll probably try something els=

e on=20
> my next project. I'd like to go with Qt, especially since I prefer C++ -=

but=20
> due to cost issues, if it's a commercial thing I'd be inclined to go with=

=20
> Gtk+.
>=20
> Vaughn Treude
> Nakota Software, INc.
>=20
>=20
> On Friday 28 November 2003 21:17, you wrote:
> > Another thing regarding QT:
> > It is one of the most common GUI systems in embedded apps..Sharp
> > Zarious, for instance, uses QT..though they are using the Embedded
> > versoin, which costs dollars.

of

> > > There are lots of reasons for going with one or the other.. but in my
> > > experience, it always comes down to the these two:
> > >
> > > 1. Gtk+ is C, Qt is C++
> > > 2. Gtk+ is free to use for commercial projects, Qt isn't
> > >
> > > For instance, I tend to always gravitate towards C++ given a choice.
> > > I've done some Gtk+ programming over the years (mostly back in the da=

> > > during my attempts at cross-desktop interoperability) and I've always
> > > found it extremely frustrating. It's a PITA to do any kind of
> > > programming using Gtk+ while Qt makes it nearly trivial... to me. I'=

ve