CUPS issues with Knoppix

Author: Deepak Saxena
Subject: CUPS issues with Knoppix
I've never had any problems with CUPS before, but my Knoppix setup is
just not wanting to play properly with me. My setup is an HP LaserJet
1100 connected via parallel port and I'm using the Foomatic/ljet4 driver.
I'm having the following issues:

- Linefeeds are not getting properly translated. I lpr'd a simple
text file and ended up with stairstepping. :(

- The above is actually a subset of the larger issue which is that
filters in general are not working. I ran a file through enscript
and ended up with several pages of garbage b/c the PostScript is
being sent raw to the printer instead of being processes.

- Samba sharing is not properly working. I can see the printer from
my windows box but anything sent to it is dissapearing in the ether
and never showing up in the queue on the CUPS/samba server. FYI,
folder sharing is working OK.

I had all of this working under RedHat and Mandrake as my distro on the
server, but haven't had much luck so far with Knoppix/Debian. I've tried
reinstalling the printer driver form scratch but that didn't solve any
of the issues. Any pointer appreciated.

Tnx,
~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena -

Art inherently reaches out an touches people and causes them to think
and feel. Those who creates music, film, games, or other media and
say that it has no meaning or does not impact peoples behaviour
are not artists. These people are simply entertainment prostitutes
whoreing themselves to the highest bidder. - Me