GPRS+IR

Author: Mike Starke
Subject: GPRS+IR
On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:04:40AM -0700, Dev Null wrote:
/_PLUG'ers
/_
/_I have been successfully synchronizing Ximian Evolution with my Palm
/_IIIx and my cell phone for well over a year now via infrared. It works
/_perfectly.
/_
/_I recently bought a GPRS-capable phone and I would like to use it as a
/_modem for my Linux laptop. The new phone also supports infrared and I
/_have verified that I can synch it with Evolution. I use MultiSync for
/_this task (fantastic product!). Ideally, I want to place the phone next
/_to the laptop and make an outgoing call to an ISP via infrared.
/_
/_I am clueless about GPRS. Can anyone point me in the right direction to
/_do this? Actually, I think I am tripping over something even more
/_basic. IRDA modems?!?!
/_
/_I cannot initialize the modem (on /dev/ircomm0) via minicom or wvdial.
/_The modem simply does not respond. With infrared activated on the
/_phone, shouldn't it respond to normal AT commands?
/_

I would be interested in hearing (or reading your HowTo) about this once
you figger it out.

-mike