Delusions of grandeur

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Delusions of grandeur
Thanks to all the help I've received here I've pretty much straightened
out the KM2M mobo based server computer that I want to deliver. There
is just one remaining problem. Under Red Hat 7.0, this computer has
delusions of grandeur. When you poser it on it comes up with a splash
screen that says Linux on one line and Linux up on the next. If you
quickly arrow down to the second line which, I'm guessing, stands for
uni-processor everything works. If you are too slow, the egomaniac
computer boot a smp kernel. This actually seems to work except the
network adapter driver doesn't get loaded because it is in
/lib/modules.2.2.16-22/net and it is being looked for in
/lib/modules/2.2.16-22smp/net.

I suppose I could just copy it to both paths but somehow that feels
like putting a band-aid on a festering store. I'd rather understand why
this lowly Duron machine hinks it's a fire breathing multiprocessor
monster.

Sniff - None of my PPC machines ever get confused about how many
processors they have. ;-)