A computer that works

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: A computer that works
On Nov 9, 2003, at 10:39 AM, devin rankin wrote:

> Yeah. There are things I agree with and things I don't. Linux is
> still
> not quite to the point that Windows is as far as ease of use. It can
> be
> a viable OS for people who know quite a bit about computers and enjoy
> learning more. And it can work for those who have to be reminded twice
> a year how it is they delete a file in Windows (not making that up).
> But for the vast middle ground, Linus can be harder to use than Windows
> and that holds it back.

I think that the promise Windows makes is "You don't need to know a
thing to run this computer. Click on the obvious place and it will
'Just Work'."

And for most of the people, most of the time, Windows delivers. Linux
is more like "computers are complicated and you do have to understand
them a little to really make them work."

The real problem in Windows comes when something doesn't work or simply
doesn't work the way you want it to. You are pretty much screwed. With
Linux there is always a reasonable expectation that you can fix it
because it's * supposed to be understandable *.

Anyway, this page is an interesting perspective:
<http://linux.oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/linux/2003/11/06/
linuxlounge.html>