A computer that works

Author: Craig Brooksby
Subject: A computer that works
> Face it - most people just want to use a computer
> that works - they aren't interested in the economics,
> politics unless/until they are forced to.

1) Can't back up my files -- image creation chokes on symbolic links.
2) Unable to get my palm pilot to sync since moving to Linux.
3) (Forget my digital camera)
4) Installing a new font takes two pages of instructions.
5) Samba is opaque to me. The Win boxes were networked up in 10 minutes.

6) Rpms: dependency hell. Solution: "ignore warnings."
7) Mozilla arbitrarily stops communicating with the web.
8) I keep System Monitor running so I can kill Nautilus when it hangs.
9) I need deep knowledge of the filesystem in order to install anything.
10) If I upgrade GNOME to the latest release, would my system get more
stable or less? Any bets?

11) Open Office is cheaper -- I'll say that for it.
12) Formulas in Calc sometimes just refuse to calculate. Unlike their
more compliant neighbor cells, these prefer staying text. Deal with it.
13) Python IDEs are better on Windows.
14) How many variations on "cut and paste" do I need to learn? Answer: 1
(until I moved to Linux).

"Most people aren't interested...until they are forced to be" could
easily be interpreted as imputing laziness to people like me. I think
that is too simple an interpretation. Why blame anyone for picking up
the tools they need to get their work done?