Copying kernels WAS SuSE 9.0: The Good and the Bad

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Copying kernels WAS SuSE 9.0: The Good and the Bad
On Nov 2, 2003, at 9:42 AM, wrote:

> I have not been succesful at compiling a kernel for x86 since like
> 2.4.10 when
> I just begining to play. There are way to many options for me to not
> screw it
> up for my laptop. (this is not to say that I have not been succesful
> on the
> sparc platform, which I have) With the SuSE kernel I know that it
> works, but
> I hate most everything else.

I haven't built kernels in awhile either. When I used to build them
frequently, it was on PPC where it was a piece of cake. I simply didn't
understand that there was anything hard about it on x86.

I'm a bit confused by references to "the SuSE kernel." Did SuSE
actually fork Linux and develop their own kernel?

On PPC nobody uses official kernels but that's just because the main
branch is so slow accepting patches. I thought the situation was
entirely different on x86 but I don't pretend to know much.