Copying kernels WAS SuSE 9.0: The Good and the Bad

Author: Robert Wultsch
Subject: Copying kernels WAS SuSE 9.0: The Good and the Bad
Austin Godber wrote:

> wrote:
>
>> I am not sure what you are suggesting. It is my intention, to install
>> debian
>> and then upgrade to the SuSE kernel.
>>
>> I have not been succesful at compiling a kernel for x86 since like
>> 2.4.10 when
>> I just begining to play. There are way to many options for me to not
>> screw it
>> up for my laptop. (this is not to say that I have not been succesful
>> on the
>> sparc platform, which I have) With the SuSE kernel I know that it
>> works, but
>> I hate most everything else.
>

> Usually a distribution will include their .config file. This file
> shows what options were selected when compiling. It is also likely
> that the distibution has also applied some patches to the kernel (say
> ACPI for example). You should see if there is a README that goes
> along with the kernel. For SuSe ... just try and find out what the
> kernel package name is (using "rpm -qa | grep kernel" or something)
> then list the contents (rpm -ql kernelpackage) and see if there is an
> obvious README.
>
> Really it would seem strange to move the kernel to debian, but I
> suppose it would work. I just wonder whether it would be easier than
> figuring out what you need to get your laptop working. Basically,
> every distro's kernel is roughly the same deal, and can be recreated
> by anyone intersted in doing so, you just need to know the config and
> which patches were applied (there may be some private vendor patches
> by some of the big guys).
>
> It is also possible that whatever isn't working in debian is not
> working because of some configuration issue and not the kernel at
> all. Consider a scenario where SuSe has some added ability to
> configure something that in debian you must do by hand. Thus the
> kernel isn't the problem at all.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Austin
>
> PS - hey, what model is your laptop?

I tried using the rpm you showed and it did not produce anything. I then
ran a search for the .config with the same result. I am now emailing the
fellow that made the cd's for me to ask about whether he can send it to
me assuming that he has it on the dvd that they sent with SuSE 9.0, but
the fellow did not have copies of the DVD that came with SuSE 9 for sale.

You are right that there are likely patches involved, so unless there is
some reason that it is not possible, why couldn't I just copy over the
kernel and the rest?