Programming Help c++

Author: Steve Smith
Subject: Programming Help c++
Aaron Cordova wrote:
> I'm developing a instant messaging program that will be console based. I
> just want to use regular communication. There will be no need for any
> fancy features, and no file transfer. All it needs to do is handle text.
> I am running into problems when I look for documentation on how to
> communicate over the net using c++. Yes the code must be in c++. Yes
> there are thousands of messengers around but I am trying to wrote one
> just so I can learn how to 'talk' over the net using c++. Can anyone
> point me to an article that will give me a start?
>
> Aaron Cordova

Aaron, at the risk of being non-useful (not C++ specific) a book that
I'd highly recommend is:

Linux Socket Programming By Example (Que)
see
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789722410/qid=1067794150/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-0630969-4712961#product-details

Another that you might just want to browse in the bookstore much later is:

Building Open Source Network Security Tools: Components and Techniques
- by Mike Schiffman.

It discusses (very dryly) libpcap, libnet, libnids, libsf, libdnet, and
OpenSSL, and gives brief working code examples. You *do* want your chat
app to use SSL, right? ;-)

link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471205443/qid=1067794634/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-0630969-4712961?v=glance&s=books

Steve