New Debian Install / Network Settings

Author: John Tynan
Subject: New Debian Install / Network Settings
I wanted to write and say that the install fest was a
blast! I feel like I have a good start on a Debian
Linux system that I can grow with right from the
start. Thank you all.

I do have one question. It seems my network card /
settings are not working properly. I am unable to
access the internet via my cable modem/linksys router?
However, when I boot from the Knoppix CD, I am able
to access the internet.

I checked the following files and their settings:

/etc/network/interfaces

     iface eth0 inet static
             address 192.168.0.110
             netmask 255.255.255.0
             gateway 192.168.0.1
             dns-nameservers 68.2.16.30 68.1.208.30

and

resolv.conf
nameserver 68.2.16.30
nameserver 68.1.208.30
(I left out the "search" parameter, since I am not
sure what to place in it).

I am able to ping localhost, but am unable to
ping the gateway. The status light on the network
card does not come on, although during the install, I
remember that the network card was detected.

Do you suggest I reinstall Linux? Or can I get past
this little bump in the road by adjusting my network
settings.

Any advice you might have is appreciated.

Sincerely,

John T.