New Debian Install / Network Settings

Author: Austin Godber
Subject: New Debian Install / Network Settings
well, if Knoppix works then you have a DHCP server that is assigning addresses,
so running:
# pump -i eth0
Should get you an IP on that network. If that works and you want a dynamically
assigned address then you can place the following in the interfaces file:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

rather than:

       iface eth0 inet static
               address 192.168.0.110
               netmask 255.255.255.0
               gateway 192.168.0.1
               dns-nameservers 68.2.16.30 68.1.208.30

If you want a static address, then you need to find out the correct numbers to
plug in for your network ... you need the address, netmask, gateway and name
servers ... you can find this after using pump to get your DHCP lease and typing
"ifconfig eth0" ... this should give you an idea about all of the network
settings ...

you can get the DNS servers by looking in resolv.conf after pump ... and the
gateway after looking at your routing table if you type "route" it should have a
default route listed ... you can use that ...

Good luck
Austin