Re: printer quality

Author: Scott
Subject: Re: printer quality

> On Oct 29, 2003, at 8:29 PM, betty wrote:
>
>> why is my print quality so poor with my printer (hp photosmart 1115)
>> on my linux box and so good on my windoze box (doesn't matter if i
>> made the photo in gimp or photoshop and send it to the printer via
>> windoze; it is good quality; with the linux it is not - it prints out,
>> but just not high quality)
>> i have tried configuering (sp?) it as seemed appropriate; but
>> obviously it is not adequate.
>> has someone already gone down this road before?
>> any questions i should be asking or things to double check.?
>>
>> btw the linux machine works great with the laser printer.
>> would really like to get away from the windoze altogether if possible
>> here.
>> thanks in advance for any pointers.
>> (remember i am simple newbie gui user)
>> betty i.
>
> An educated guess
>
> In Mac OS you always install the specific driver for your printer if
> you can find it. If you can't, you fall back on the Gimp-Print printer
> driver. The Gimp driver is sort of a Jack of All Trades. It supports a
> lot of printers but doesn't support any very well. It says here:
> "Drivers made by the printer manufacturers are generally higher
> quality and offer more detailed functionality than this open source
> driver."
>
> A quick look at the HP site reveals that they make drivers for the
> photosmart 1115 only in Win and Mac flavors. I think what you are
> seeing under Linux is simply the best that Gimp-Print can do.
>
> Sorry I can't be more encouraging.

The linux printing site ( linuxprinting.org ) lists the PhotoSmart P1115 as
working perfectly. Maybe you can check out their configuration and compare
and contrast with yours.

http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-PhotoSmart_P1115 should
have everything you need, including drivers. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Scott