need a little COX inside info--rdesktop or vnc? <--humor to…

Author: Austin Godber
Subject: need a little COX inside info--rdesktop or vnc? <--humor too
Nathan England wrote:

> Am Dienstag 28 Oktober 2003 10:40 nachmittags/abends schrieb Austin Godber:
>
> I don't know about that.
> The more people that tell them they are running linux the better.
> If I call and someone says they don't support linux and won't help me, then I
> either tell them to tell their manager to support linux, or I threaten to
> cancel whatever it may be if they don't help me.
>
> I think if more people said they used linux, instead of emulating windows int
> heir heads so the tech guy could do his job, we would be better off.
> Somewhere a mgr. is talking to his techs and eventually a tech will say, 'you
> know, a lot of people are using linux...'
> and others will follow.
>
> nathan

Yeah,
    There's a time for advocacy and a time for getting things accomplished.  We all
know it doesn't matter one way or another what operating system we connect to a
Cox modem (or gateway or whatever).  But a lot of these people are just reading
out of a binder for their 9 bucks an hour and could care less.  It just makes
their life and my life easier to boot my laptop into win2k and work with what
they have in the books.
    Especially when you know you are just going through the routine because you
really like to be friendly and humor the guy.  After you call up and say ...
"hello, my cable was dug up by a Bobcat"
"Is the cable light on your modem lit?"
"Uh, lemme check, probably not since there is no wire to my house ... uh nope,
no light"
"Have you tried to click the "Repair Network Connection" button?"
"Hmm, since the wire is gone ... no I haven't tried that ... lets se if clicking
that will fix the wire .... hhmmm waiting ... nope, didn't seem to work."

Then ... of course, when I had finally scheduled the service ... it turns out
they had sent a technician to REPLACE MY MODEM! That didn't really seem to fix
the wire either.

Austin